Monday, May 10, 2010

Archaeopteryx Light

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/59062/description/Archaeopteryx_fossil_seen_in_new_light_


The Archaeopteryx is a prehistoric bird. When put under X-ray florescence you can see materials thought to be long gone. Phosphorus is an element found in bird feathers, but not particularly in rock. This element, thanks to the x-ray, and been found in the Archaeopteryx fossil. Scientist figure if this element can be found with the x-ray, then original zinc can be found with it as well. If this is the case, scientists can observe a fossil with out touching it at all.


I think this is an interesting concept. In world history class I learned that people can put mummies through a machine to see every detail with out picking it apart. This is kind of like that. It''s also kind of like the first blogs I've ever posted here. It was about iridescent feathers in prehistoric birds. I thought, maybe this would be a good last blog, considering it's like the first. For a final word, I guess I can say I'm excited for both summer, and maybe for inspiration of what these birds looked like.

See ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment